Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Blame It

I’m not going to pretend I’m the only person that’s noticed it. I’m not going to pretend I’m the only who’s pissed off by it. Hell, I’m probably the gazillionth person that’s writing about it, but it pisses me off enough to write about it again.

So we all see it, when the going gets tough, or even mildly challenging, everyone blames everything on the recession. Half wits, village idiots, even old people – everyone.

“Sorry barman, I’m only 5c short. It’s this bloody recession.”

“Sorry man, I can only get you your R5 tomorrow, you know we’re in a recession.”

“I’m sorry honey, this has never happened to me before, it’s the recession.”

“Good morning Mr Wilson, I can’t come in today, I’m feeling ill on account of the fucking recession.”

But people, people are cunning. They have these ways of disguising opinion regurgitation. Some bright spark thought if they cunningly changed the word recession to something more colloquial and catchy, nobody would notice.

So primary school grammar books were dug up and alliteration was remembered: Credit Crunch infested conversations everywhere like a venereal disease. Then came the people who scoured the papers to see how the big people say it. That’s how Economic Crisis crept in. It’s sad really, like grown men not playing video games.

And even worse, this fucking recession (and I’m swearing because I’m pissed off) is making village idiots and old people think they can hold a conversation with fairly educated people such as you and me. Well, me.

But ya. That’s my beef.

You know it makes sense. Think about the children.

No comments: